WALKING TO SCHOOL SAFETY TIPS
The Glendale Police Department would like to remind students and their parents of the following safety tips for walking to school. Walking to school can be fun, but you need to be safe while doing so. Please follow these safety tips to make sure you get to and from school without any problems.
Younger children should always walk with an adult. Children and parents walking together is a great form of exercise and a nice way to spend time together.
If children are old enough to walk to school without a parent, remember these safety tips:
• Walk with a friend or a group of friends when possible.
• Pick a safe route to and from school with your parents.
• Stick to the route you picked in case your parents need to find you.
• Always try to walk on sidewalks or designated walking paths.
• Don’t let your friends talk you into shortcuts that can be dangerous.
• When you are near the street, don’t push, shove or chase each other.
• Never take a ride from a stranger
• Do not approach a stranger’s car if they talk to you.
• Do not take a ride with someone else unless it has been arranged by your parents.
Always remember that drivers may not be able to see you very well.
• Try to wear bright colored clothing when walking to and from school.
• If it is dark getting outside, carry a flashlight or wear reflective clothes or gear.
LOOK FOR TRAFFIC
• Always watch out for cars and trucks at every driveway and intersection on your walk to and from school.
• Look for drivers sitting in parked cars. They may be getting ready to move.
CROSS THE STREET SAFELY
• Always try to cross the street at a cross walk or at a corner with a stop sign.
• Stop at the curb or edge of the street before considering to cross.
• Look left, right and left again for cars or trucks before you consider crossing.
• Wait until no traffic is coming before crossing the street.
• Keep looking for traffic while you are crossing the street.
• Walk (DON’T RUN) while crossing the street.
• Remember to obey all traffic signs, signals and adult school crossing guards while walking to and from school.
REPORT ANY SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY TO YOUR PARANTS, A TEACHER OR TO THE GLENDALE POLICE DEPARTMENT.
Have a safe, fun & educational school year!